Saturday, January 19, 2008

What Shall We Name the Grand-Dad?

This week my youngest daughter called me as I drove in to work with my wife (my truck was in the shop). Any time the words "Are you sitting down?" preface the conversation, I am assured that my daughter is about to tell me something of biblical proportion. I was not disappointed.

"Sure I am sitting down," I said. "I am driving."

"Mumble-sob-Brad--mumble-test-sob-mumble-sob....."

"Honey, I can't understand a word you're saying." I said.

"Mumble--sob--mumble--sob--mumble--scared--sob...." She continued.

"Honey!" I said louder. "I need you to slow down. I can not understand you. What is the problem?"

"I"-Gasp-"Think"-Gasp-"I'm"-Gasp-"Pregnant." She managed to say. A wave of relief came over me.

"I thought it was something much worse." I said, somewhat amused. "Although I am too young to be a grandfather, I am happy for you if you are happy."

"I just don't know if I am ready to be a mom. I had hoped that we would be married a few years before I got pregnant." She said, somewhat bummed.

"Well just remember that God will not give you anything that He does not feel you can bear. If you are pregnant, then He felt you were ready." I said.

"Still, Pop I don't know if I can be a good mom. I am scared."

"Honey, I think you will be a great mom. I raised you to do the right thing and I am certain you will do just fine. Life throws us curves and we can not always go by our plans. I wish you two had a little more time to get to know each other better before a baby came along but, I am sure that you will manage just fine."

"Really?" She asked. "I mean I want a baby, but I am just not sure I am capable of being a good mom."

"Well, we are never ready to be the perfect parent but it is an on the job learning experience and you will make mistakes. Trust me, you will be fine. And honey, you know I love you and I am happy for you."

Later I text messaged her: "I know you will make a great mom. I love you more than you may ever know."

Several days later I called back to check on her and she was much more calm and actually looking forward to being a mother. I was glad to see this because I knew she could do it, despite not being planned. As she hung up, she said "Talk to you later, Grandpa."

Oh NO she Didn't! I was too young to be a Grandfather. My daughter may be old enough to have a child, but I was not old enough to be a grandpa! Later in the day, she sent me a text message: "You know you are excited about being a grandpa."

I texted her back: "I am excited that you are going to have a child that is just like you--and God have mercy on you when she becomes a teenager."

I then texted her again: "There will be no 'Grandpa'. You can call me 'Pop' or 'Uncle Dad'."

She sent me one back: "Uncle Dad? LOL. You are silly, Dad."

"We are from Tennessee.' I replied.

"So I guess it is 'Pop'" She sent back.

"You don't like 'Uncle Dad?" I asked.

No reply. She always was a difficult child. I hope she has two just like her.

Visit humorblogs.com

No comments: