Sunday, January 20, 2008

New Years in Missouri

Happy New Year from Missouri!























I promised a week ago to write about our visit to see our youngest daughter and son-in-law in Missouri during the New Years holiday. I have been busy trying to recuperate from that visit and just now is my mind getting to the point that I can talk about it.


As I described before, we were two and a half hours late getting into Missouri due to inclement weather.

To make matters worse, we were sharing our visit with my son-in-law's mother and her boyfriend.

They are nice people (he more so than she) but as the saying goes--a little bit goes a long way. A VERRRRYYYY long way!




On day one, we ate breakfast at the local cafe called the Town Cafe, which I found appropriate since it was the only one in the town. Later we went to Independence where we went to the mall to buy the kid's gifts for Christmas since they live ten hours away and we didn't want to haul their gifts in our luggage and then went out to Logan's Roadhouse for dinner.










On day two, we again ate at the Town Cafe for breakfast. Breakfast was as good as the first day until my son-in-law found a dead roach in his drink glass. The waitress promptly brought him another glass of whatever he was drinking but by then, everyone was finished eating--whether they wanted to be or not. We did not eat at the cafe on day three. Later we went to Sedalia and saw the movie National Treasure, then we went shopping at the Wal-Mart, went home and I cooked my world famous meatloaf for everyone. My wife cooked mashed potatoes and a skillet of corn bread. To close out the evening, we played Guitar Hero with the kids. I am sad to say that even though I play a little guitar, I was no hero at this game.














On day three, New Years Eve, both kids had to work,














so we parents made ourselves useful first with breakfast in Sedalia at Perkins and then a driving safari over the central part of Missouri. We stopped at the Knob Noster State Park and enjoyed the frozen lake. We also found a tree growing through a silo.



Later that afternoon, we ate lunch at another restaurant and then went to the hotel to meet the kids before going to their house to fix dinner. This time, it was the Mother-in-law who cooked. Later, we went back to our motel room to watch the ball drop and we played Phase 10 until 12:30 our time, 11:30 their time because my wife and I had to leave early the next morning to catch a plane back out of Kansas City.


All in all we had a great trip, despite having to share time with the inlaws. It was good to see our kids and it was good to be back home. I am glad the kids are adjusting to married life and that they like where they live. I however, would like for the next visit to be to a warmer climate and preferrably in a city that you don't have to drive twenty minutes to get to the closest Wal-Mart.
Visit Humorblogs.com for more funny guys

No comments: