Monday, June 21, 2010

Pardon, Your Cleavage is Showing

I thought I had heard all the excuses for not buying a shoe that a woman could ever dream of, but I was wrong.

The other day a woman came into my store and tried on a few thousand pairs of shoes. There was something wrong with every
one of them.

This one way too big. Too small; Too blue; Too
high of a heel; Too low; It hurt her heel. Her toes; Her pride.
This one costs too much. It looked cheap. She didn't want a
snake on her feet, etc. etc. Then she came up with one I have
never heard before.

"It's a cute shoe," she said, sadly shaking her head "but,
it shows my toe cleavage. I really like them, but I don't like
for my toes to show."

It never ceases to amaze me that in an age when women take
pride in their bodies and try to show as much of their breast
cleavage as the law will allow, that there could be someone who
was inhibited enough not to want her toes to show. I, for one,
am glad, that women have chosen to draw the line on just how much of their bodies that they are willing to leave on public display. The toes are an good a place as any to start.

They say that fashion repeats itself every twenty years or
so. Does this mean that we will begin to see a reverse trend in
the dress habits of women? Will they soon return to wearing
bras and start shaving their legs again? Let us hope.
I can see it now. It would be slow at first. Maybe some
woman will be helping her mother clean out the attic when she comes across a bra.

"Hey mom! What's this?" she will ask, holding it up.

"That is what used to be called a bra. We burned those back
in the sixties. I just kept this one as a souvenir."

"What were they used for?" the daughter queries.

"We used them to protect ourselves and also to make us more
attractive in a dress."

"Why did you burn them?"

"Come to think of it, I don't even remember...."

"A bra. What a novel idea." Says the daughter. "May I have
it?"

"Certainly. I will never use it." The mother says.

I know that I am grasping at straws here, but it's nice to
think about. After all, a woman doesn't have to show every curve
of her body in order to attract men. Look at the fashions of the
late forties and fifties. Women wore clothes then, and those
were the years we refer to as the Baby Boom. That should tell us
something.

I look forward to the time when we will hear "Pardon, but your
cleavage is showing. It may only be in reference to the toes at
first, but it's a start.

No comments: